- 21 September 2018 - 7 October 2018
For over 100 years it held 2 million gallons of water...
Aurora is an experience like no other. Step inside the cave-like vaults of Toxteth Reservoir for a 40-minute ‘walk on water’. Through dark chambers and between towering iron arches, water surrounds, floods and falls around you, both beautiful and terrifying. The sights, sounds and wonder of an ice cave, a tropical rainforest and monsoons unfold before you. Because when we understand that water is more precious than oil or gold, we view everything differently.
Toxteth Reservoir, High Park Street, L8 8LU
Tickets: £12 - £10
(concessions, family tickets and group offers available)
Age: 5yrs and over
- Ensure to wear appropriate flat shoes, such as boots, wellingtons, or trainers with thick soles –your feet will get wet.
- Warm, waterproof clothing is advised.
- Under 16's must be accompanied by an adult (1 adult to 2 under 16's)
This show is not suitable for under 5's
- Aurora is a site-specific installation and takes place in a damp, derelict Victorian reservoir. All efforts have been made to create an accessible environment however, if you have limited mobility or any other concerns regarding the environment please contact TicketQuarter on 03443350437
*Please note that you need to arrive to the installation 15 minutes prior to your booked time for a briefing. The briefing is part of condition of entry into the installation so please make sure you allow yourself time.
Created by internationally renowned artists Invisible Flock, Aurora uses state of the art interactive technologies, soundscapes, lasers and ice sculptures to captivate the beauty and power of water, set within the cavernous walls and cloisters of the reservoir.
It is all about water. The Toxteth Reservoir used to hold 2 million gallons of it and now sits empty. For three weeks in September 2018, artists from all over the world will create a totally unique type of experience that will feel like walking through a waking dream about water. A global story full of legends, innovation, magic and beauty, set inside one of Liverpool's Victorian hidden gems.
Toxteth Reservoir, a brick fortress perched on the top of Liverpool’s High Park Street and the size of half a football pitch, was one of the first in the world to use cutting edge Victorian engineering to preserve fresh water for Liverpool’s growing population. In this powerfully immersive experience, the history, mystery and beauty of one of Liverpool’s hidden gems is reimagined for the 21st century.
Aurora is co-commissioned by FACT (Foundation for Art & Creative Technology) and Invisible Flock in partnership with Liverpool City Council and Dingle 2000. Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England, and British Council.
Victoria Pratt, Ben Eaton, Catherine Baxendale, Klavs Kurpnieks (Invisible Flock, UK)
In collaboration with:
Miebi Sikoki & Rudi Nurhadi (Digital Nativ, Indonesia)
Babitha George & Romit Raj (Quicksand, India)
Abshar Platisza (Indonesia)
Azusa Ono (Japan/UK)
Bagus Pandega (Indonesia)
Etza Meisyara (Indonesia)
James Hamilton (UK)
Simon Fletcher (UK)
- Duration: 40 minutes no interval
- This immersive experience contains moments of complete darkness and lasers will be used, therefore it may not suitable for people with conditions such as epilepsy or claustrophobia.
- You may bring phones inside the installation and you are permitted to take photos, please do take care as you will be in a damp environment and FACT can take no responsibility for damaged cameras, phones or any other equipment.
-Please avoid bringing bulky items with you as these will not be allowed inside the installation, there will be a place to store bags but possessions are left at the owner's risk
- Free event parking can be found in the nearby Tesco car park, a short 4 minute walk away from the installation, the address is as follows: Tesco Extra, 215 Park Rd, Liverpool L8 4XF.
- If you are travelling on October 6th, 7th & 8th be aware that access will be very busy due to The Giants.
- Access to High Park Street is via the following roads, Aigburth Road, Ullet Road, Park Road, High Park Street.
- Please note that Both Princes Ave and Princes Road will be shut all day. There will be some elements of the city centre shut as well so please bare this in mind.
- If using public transport check with the relevant provider
Aurora Publication One - Imagining Water
This publication is conceptualised and made by Quicksand. Our global perception of water may vary, but the connection we have with it is essential to who we are as human beings. We hope to share that through these stories as well as the collaborative journey of creating Aurora.
Click on the image below to read online
The publication is designed by studiocarrom.com.
Join the Aurora Team!
We are looking for volunteers to work as part of the Front of House and Set-Up teams for Aurora, during 18 September - 7 October.
By volunteering, you will be a vital part of a one-off installation. You will greet visitors and guide them through their journey, and working with both the FACT team and Invisible Flock, learn more about the work and its background, to ensure everyone’s experience is a memorable one.
Aurora is a very special, outdoor installation which makes the most of the incredible location of Toxteth Reservoir - a Victorian building. As such, the environment is damp, and volunteers should be aware of this. The work also contains moments of complete darkness and lasers so might not be suitable for those with claustrophobia or light sensitivity.
How to ask questions and apply:
To apply please click here to be directed to a online form. Alternatively email email@example.com, putting the title of the email as AURORA and stating what role you would like to take volunteer as: ‘Front of House’ or ‘Set-Up’.
All efforts have been made to create an accessible environment, but if you have any concerns or questions about volunteering in this kind of space, or as part of this project, please email the Aurora Mediator, Cathryn on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0151 707 4444, we would love to talk to you further and make sure you can join in too.
Please note a mandatory Briefing Day for all volunteers will be held on Tuesday the 11th September from 1pm-5pm. If you are not able to make this, please tell us in the Comments section of your survey or your email.
- A prior briefing is a condition of entry to the installation
- Late admission is not allowed
- FACT reserves the right to refuse entry should participants be late or dressed in a manner that risks their health and safety whilst in the installation